Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ten Thousand Bucks


"The law of your mouth is better to me
than thousands of gold and silver pieces."
Psalm 119:72


If I had those gold and silver pieces, I would be happy to give the silver ones to charity. The gold ones alone would be a great help - I could accomplish my desires for my life much better. I'm sure you feel the same way.

Yet to do God's will should be not only our greatest priority but our greatest delight. This can be done with $10 or $10,000.

Jesus said, "One's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." Our fundamental attitude should be "what does God desire of me today?" We should never think that we need something more in order to do God's will -- whether money, additional possessions, or anything else.

It is not wrong to seek financial stability, to provide for one's family, or anything like that. It is not wrong to desire other good gifts from God such as a spouse or a fulfilling career. Yet while seeking such things - and hopefully for the right reasons - we need to realize that God nevertheless gives us what we need to do his will today.

So let's do it.

4 comments:

Hildegarde Fillmore said...

May I borrow that $10?

Anonymous said...

Hi Kenny (or rather, Pastor Ken) Mark from your shirehall drive days in HSE. nice perspective. i totally relate. God bless you!

Ken said...

Mark,

It's great to hear from you! Where are you and what are you doing now?

I have tried for years to track down Dan but to no avail.

Ken

Ken said...

Hildegarde: Is it proper etiquette to ask for money...online??

That's what spam is for!