Friday, June 09, 2006

Speaking of Sports...

Speaking of sports, there's an important life lesson buried in today's NBA championship news:


DALLAS — In a game of stars, a role player stepped up and stole the show in the opening game of the NBA Finals.

Jason Terry of the Dallas Mavericks took advantage of being left alone most of the game Thursday and drilled the Miami Heat with shot after shot in a 90-80 victory.

Terry, who struggled with his shooting in the Western Conference finals against the Phoenix Suns, finished with 32 points. He was 13-for-18 from the field and made four of seven three-pointers to pick up the scoring slack as Miami concentrated on containing Dirk Nowitzki...
(Courtesy of USA TODAY)

As a pastor, I am quite enthusiastic about those who live out their faith in other vocations. Those in other roles can do things I can't do. They can apply biblical principles to the business world, and the Bible has much to say about that. They can more naturally develop non-Christian friends and acquaintances. Those who are especially successful can demonstrate generosity in unique ways. They can surprise others with their faith.

As a pastor, I enjoy unique benefits too. For example, I get to study God's word in depth as part of my daily line of duties. And because I'm called to serve the Lord in ministry, and because this is what God has gifted me to do, I don't desire anything different. But I'm certainly not going to surprise anyone when they find out I'm a Christian!

So, if "going to work" for you does NOT mean "going to church," take advantage of your ability to launch sneak attacks.

Take a lesson from Jason Terry of the Dallas Mavericks. When all eyes aren't on you, don't "relax" -- surprise the other team by taking your faith to the boards!

No comments: