Sunday, February 04, 2007

Just Creating

I recently listened to a lecture by Tim Keller entitled Christianity and the Creative Age (September 15, 2006, find it here).

We live in a creative age. Blogs are written, homemade videos are broadcast, and every teenager downloads a daily soundtrack to their iPod. Artists’ industries make billions of dollars and are celebrated with lavish awards shows. More down to earth are the artists who work nine to five (or ten till eleven) creating web sites and Super Bowl commercials.

With this fresh in mind, I was reading in my home office yesterday and noticed just how many gadgets cluttered my desk:



Some of these fuel my own moderately artistic endeavors, helping me to easily write, manage photos and music, and so forth. They also help me to communicate (props to the cell phone and email) and, yes, waste time (way to go, Firefox).



Just to the left of the computer was my Bible and a book on prayer by Philip Yancey that I’ve started reading. Needless to say, I’m making slower progress through both books than I would if it weren’t for these other occupations.

So I was thinking…

Finding ourselves in such an age requires not only creativity but wisdom. We need to understand how to use our creative skills in a way that honors God, the one who started this whole thing by creating the world and creating us in his (creative) image. Yet this will only happen if we “create” the necessary time to reflect, pray, and read God’s word. Only then will we have something meaningful to say, to celebrate, to broadcast through our artistic endeavors.

Which means I have to be a little bit countercultural and pick up that book on prayer and read it. Or actually pray. Not to mention study that Bible.

And then back to the blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear the rebuke and feel the sting myself. Thanks Ken

-Mark