Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I Will, I Will

Say therefore to the people of Israel, 'I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from slavery to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great acts of judgment. I will take you to be my people, and I will be your God, and you shall know that I am the LORD your God, who has brought you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. I will bring you into the land that I swore to give to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob. I will give it to you for a possession. I am the LORD.'" Exodus 6:6-8

How would you describe a healthy relationship? In the above passage, God is speaking to Moses and explaining his relationship to his people, Israel. What do we learn about this relationship?

Look at the passage again. Notice that God’s declaration of his name is stated and the beginning and end, and in between are seven promises:

'I am the LORD,
and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians,
and I will deliver you from slavery to them,
and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great acts of judgment.
I will take you to be my people,
and I will be your God, and you shall know that I am the LORD your God, who has brought you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.
I will bring you into the land that I swore to give to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.
I will give it to you for a possession.
I am the LORD.'"

Seven times God says "I will." It’s pretty clear who wears the pants in this relationship. Or, to state it in friendlier terms, it’s clear who picks up the tab.

Yet instead of hearing God say to us, “I will,” we are often saying it to him! We do this when we make promises to him, usually promises to do better “next time.” We hope that if we are well meaning enough we will obtain his blessings.

How do you approach God each day? As one who has experienced the “I wills” of God, or as one who thinks he or she can obtain God’s blessing by promising, yet again, “I will”?

No comments: