Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Waiting Game


There are three ways to play the waiting game.

The first is to wait for things. This means that you wait for things to work out in your life the way you hope, the way you dream. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. But what is certain is that all good things come to an end.

The other way is to wait for a person. This means that we wait for someone to satisfy our needs, our deepest desires. Playing this version of the waiting game can be quite disillusioning as well.

The third is to wait for God. Now, this seems odd because God is always there - what is there to wait for? Perhaps that is why we begin to look around nervously for something or someone else to satisfy our longings. But if we learn what it means to wait for him, we have a promise: he won't let us down. He may not "arrive" as speedily as we want, but he will fully satisfy.

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
O my God, in you I trust;
let me not be put to shame;
let not my enemies exult over me.
Indeed, none who wait for you shall be put to shame...
- Psalm 25:1-3

(Artwork courtesy of www.artbywicks.com)

No comments: